What’s the ultimate football party foul? Not keeping your tailgate or living room spread safe for all 4 quarters.
Here’s 12 easy tips to make sure your fans stay pumped up and healthy:
1. Make sure your ingredients start off safe by checking the safety record of your local grocery store.
2. Keep it clean – wash your hands to avoid contaminating your food.
3. Make sure to bring plenty of serving spoons and tongs to avoid cross contamination.
4. Tailgating outside with no water? Don’t forget to bring some extra water and soap for hand washing.
5. Have a grill? Get yourself a thermostat and check out this chart for the perfect grill times.
6. Keep your raw meat and poultry separated from other ingredients by using separate clean plates for your cooked food.
7. Opening and closing a cooler can put your food at risk, bring a separate cooler just for drinks.
8. Perishable food should not be left out for more than 2 hours – switch it out during half time.
9. What’s the danger zone? It’s not a football play, it’s the temperature range between 40 °F and 140 °F where bacteria can rapidly multiply. Avoid it by keeping your hot foods hot and cold foods cold.
10. Throw those old paper towels away – they were only made to be used once.
11. Make sure you’re still celebrating the rest of the week by reheating your leftovers thoroughly.
12. Can never remember how long your food is good for in the fridge? You’re not alone, here is a helpful food storage guide to help you figure out how long to keep or toss those leftovers.
For more safety tips and information, go to: https://www.foodsafety.gov/